In this article, we are going to learn the following for Application Insights.
- The total size of data that is ingested in the last 31 days
- Estimated Cost for the last 31 days
What is Application Insights?
Application Insights is one of the most important tool that helps developers in achieving the following.
- Ingest all the application telemetry data. You can ingest the telemetry of any Front End apps (ex: Angular, ASP.Net MVC etc.) and Web APIs.
- It provides all the tools required for troubleshooting functional and performance issues.
- It provides Live Metrics – Read more about this at Application Insights – Analyze live traffic using Live Metrics
- Many more other features.
You can learn how to integrate Application Insights to your .Net Core application at 6 steps to integrate Application Insights with .Net Core application hosted in Azure App Service
Sometimes, especially when you are planning for Cost Analysis, you would need to understand how to calculate the cost that you would incur for Application Insights. In order to do that you need to understand how much amount of storage you need for telemetry as the App Insights is charged based on the amount of storage you need.
By default, as of this writing, for a given Application Insights, the first 5GB of storage is FREE for a given Application Insights and thereafter, you will be charged per GB. You can calculate charges using Azure Pricing Calculator
As per the above screenshot, if the Application Insights is hosted in East US region, and if the instance consumes 6 GB per month then the $2.30 is the cost.
Now, how to know the amount of storage that the Application Insights has consumed in the Last 31 days? Here is how you can get that information.
Navigate to the Application Insights service and click on the Usage and estimated costs as shown in the below screenshot.
Clicking on the Usage and estimates costs will take you to the page where you can manage multiple settings. One of them is to view the data storage consumption by the Application Insights in the last 31 days.
As shown below, one of my Application Insights has consumed 0.007 GB of storage in the last 31 days.
That’s how you can understand how to view the monthly usage of the Azure Application Insight’s Storage.