As an experienced Sitecore developer you might already be aware of different Sitecore environments.
- Sitecore Experience Manager (XM) – This environment has the following components
- CM (Content Management) – The admin console where the Content Authors create items and content and could publish the items.
- CD (Content Delivery) – This is the role that is capable of displaying all the published data and is accessible by all the public end users.
- Sitecore Experience Platform (XP) – Apart from both the CM and CD components, Sitecore XP also has another component xDB. xDB in short, is capable of capturing all the Visitor interactions and providing reports / analytics to the Content Authors / Administrators
Azure allows us to host both of the above environments on Azure Platform as a Service offering using Azure App Services.
We have already learnt how to create Sitecore Experience Manager (XM) in one of the previous articles Sitecore Experience Manager on Azure App Services – This article provides you the step-by-step details about creating a CMS only environment of Sitecore on Azure PAAS.
We have also discussed how to create Sitecore XP in one of our previous articles Sitecore XP1 on Azure using Azure App Service – This article provide the details about configuring Sitecore Experience Platform (XP) using ARM templates and Sitecore Azure Toolkit. This process of creating the Sitecore XP environment is tedious job as we have to follow multiple steps of uploading the Sitecore packages, configuring the ARM templates and executing the Sitecore Azure Toolkit commands using Powershell.
In the very recent release, Sitecore & Microsoft has released a template on Azure that allows us to create Sitecore XP environment using one click deployment. In this article, we will learn how to create an Sitecore XP environment.
Login to Azure Management portal and search for “sitecore” as shown in the below screen capture.
Select “Sitecore Experience Platform 8.2” as shown in the above screen capture. In the “Everything” blade choose “Sitecore Experience Platform 8.2” and click on Create. You will be taken to the following blade.
The above step requires you to provide the following details.
- App Service name, Subscription, and Resource Group and Location
- SQL Database
- Sitecore XP – You need to provide the MongoDB details in this step. Please refer Sitecore XP1 on Azure – Step4 – Create Mongo dB databases for xDB features to learn step-by-step process for creating the MongoDB databases.
- Sitecore Settings
- Legal Terms
Provide all the required details in the above steps. You can refer to Sitecore Experience Manager on Azure App Services article to understand the step-by-step process of providing all the details.
Once you provide all the details click on the Create button to create the Sitecore XP on Azure Platform as a Service offering using Azure App Services.